Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Model Trawlers

Default Model Trawlers

Can anybody tell me where i can buy ready made model trawlers.I would love to be able to make one but due to long working hours i have very little time to myself.

Default Complete Models

I do complete models.

Only snag is that they cost about 3k each

Regds
    Bill

Default models

there are model books, with lots of 2nd. hand models for sale at a few hundred s. ask in newsagents for such a book.

Quote Originally Posted by bill wood View Post
    I do complete models.

Only snag is that they cost about 3k each

Regds
    Bill
    3 grand for a model

I bought a complete model of the drifter Foxglove for my father and only paid 40 quid.

Default models

contact colin at:
    TRAWLERCOOK@TRAWLERCOOK.KAROO.CO.UK
    this lad builds some excellent models and they dont cost a
    arm or a leg.
    if you want to look at some he has built go to
    shipnostalgia. com

You get wot u pay for

Default model trawler

I totally agree, Skjold

3,000? think i'll go into business instead of making them for my own amusement, but having seen pics i'd have to say the work that goes into them and the hours it takes 3 grand is reasonable. finding anyone to pay that price might be harder than making the model, was there not a time when owners got models made of the big new builds, bit of one upmanship if you excuse the pun, one skipper gets a model made so the others follow suit, keeping up with the joneses, or some more recognisable broch name maybe?

you can get ones for 150 but they don't look that great, and there are a few kits about for less than that, radio controlled maggie m seems to be a favourite, she was built less than a mile from my house but i can't see me making a model of her, there were a lot better looking ships came out of the campbeltown yard.

if you consider that it would take about 300-350 hours to build a Maggie M, plus the kit plus glues, paints r/c equipment then 3k is a small amount.
    it amazes me that we all take our cars down to the garage for a service at 40quid plus vat an hour, see a solicitor at 180 an hour for a divorce and any other professional works at 20+ per hour at least, then to charge 6.50 an hour to professionally build a model is not ripping someone off.
    I have honed my skills over many years (40 +) and I don't think that to work for 60p above minimum wage to produce a lovely model is over the top, especially when you are doing something that others can't do.